Joe Flacco Jersey

Though he was one of the first to learn of the Denver Broncos’ impending trade for quarterback Joe Flacco, Case Keenum had the same reaction as many others.

The Broncos’ incumbent starter said in a podcast posted Thursday that last week’s move, of which general manager John Elway gave him advance notice, “definitely shocked” him.

“Elway called me that morning and we had a great conversation, which he didn’t have to do. I appreciated that,” Keenum said on The Sports Spectrum with his wife, Kimberly. “I was definitely shocked. It was a surprise for us. … But for us, we’re definitely disappointed. It’s not something we wanted to happen. I know everybody is doing their job, and John feels like it was a chance to help the Broncos out.”

Keenum, 31, signed a two-year contract with the Broncos last spring and threw for 3,890 yards, 18 touchdowns and 15 interceptions as Denver mounted just a 6-10 record in 2018. But last Wednesday, the Broncos agreed to acquire the veteran Flacco from the Baltimore Ravens in a move that cannot become official until the start of the new league year on March 13.

With Flacco poised to take over as starter, Keenum’s standing for next season is uncertain. An NFL Network report said Denver plans to shop him in a possible trade. But Keenum is set to count $21 million against the Broncos’ cap next season, and he could be a candidate to be released.

“You know, really, it’s really open-ended right now,” Keenum said of his future. “We don’t know what’s going to happen, there’s still a lot up in the air. This is really fresh. So a lot of these emotions that we’re talking about are still kind of going on, still happening. So who knows what’s going to be in store? I don’t for sure, God does. But we’ll be ready for whatever God has in store for us next.”